Carolyn Joy Patterson is the Executive Secretary to Provisional Bishop Robert Gepert and the human resources and insurance administrator for the diocese. She is responsible for:
- Maintaining the Bishop’s calendar and visitation schedule.
- Managing the Bishop’s correspondence.
- Administration of the paperwork for BACOM, the Commission on Ministry and people who are in the discernment process.
- Preparation of minutes for the Diocesan Convention, Council of Trustees, Commission on Ministry and Finance Committee.
- Supervision of Front Desk staff.
- Administration of diocesan benefits programs, including health, pensions and life insurance. Responsible for: enrolling new employees; the open enrollment process; life insurance; pensions.
- Oversight of property insurance matters, including staying current with Church Insurance benefits and procedures; assisting parishes with questions about Church Insurance matters; ensuring completion and review of annual safety and fire audits of parishes.
Carolyn Joy has lived in the United States for nearly 20 years. She spent her early years with her parents on the mission field in South Asia and moved to Harrisburg with her husband from Canada. She holds a BA in Sociology from York University, Toronto and a Law Clerk Certificate from Centennial College, Toronto. She has worked extensively in insurance, law offices, church administration and non-profits. She is a board member for B+E+S+T (Bishops’ Executive Secretaries Together) and serves as their Communications Officer.
Carolyn and her husband live in Uptown Harrisburg with their two sons, who attend St. Stephen’s Episcopal School. They are parishioners at St. Stephen’s Cathedral.